12 Dark Secrets Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Widow's Marks and How to Wield Them. An Addendum to Tuebits' "The Complete book of Widow's Mark Dagger"

2 posters

Go down

Widow's Marks and How to Wield Them.   An Addendum to Tuebits' "The Complete book of Widow's Mark Dagger" Empty Widow's Marks and How to Wield Them. An Addendum to Tuebits' "The Complete book of Widow's Mark Dagger"

Post  TattooedSanta Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:05 pm

Widow's Marks and How to Wield Them.

An Addendum to Tuebits' "The Complete book of Widow's Mark Dagger"

So, you have visited Grimwell in Mithrilfin and you are looking for the most effective techniques for wielding, or dual-wielding in this case, the epic dagger know as the Widow's Mark.  Or, perhaps you are building a new Character specifically aimed at these daggers.   If you are just starting out, please read Tuebits' book, "The Complete book of Widow's Mark Dagger"  for excellent insite on how to get the dagger.  This book covers how to dual wield and techniques that have proven effective in testing.

The Widow's Mark dagger is designed for the stealthy. As mentioned in Tuebits' book, the roguish skill levels enhance the damages of the Widow's Mark.  In testing, we noticed that the special attacks and damages are not triggered unless the target is immune to sneak attacks.   Beryl Grotto is a good place to test this.  There are many mobs that are immune to sneak and some that are not.  The beauty of the Widow's Mark is that it grants enhanced damage to those that are immune.  
I suggest taking a level of Shadowdancer so you can use Hide in plain sight to reset your stealth and then attempt another sneak attack on your target.  A simple pattern of Stealth, Attack, Disengage, and repeat seems to get the job done.  As an added bonus, a level of Assassin could possibly grant paralysis on your target (providing they are not immune to sneak).  Once paralyzed, all attacks count as sneak attacks.  This is basically a rogue function, and not a function of the Widow's Mark.  At the same time, an area that has both immune and non-immune mobs this helps get through the non-immune ones.  It is a bit satisfying to paralyze one mob, and before the ones near by can agro, stealth, paralyze another, and then a third.  Then it is pretty easy to finish them off without even being in stealth.  

The mobs that are immune to sneak attack will trigger the Widow's Mark's special abilities. Straight out of stealth triggers the "Widows Mark Magic Sneak Attack"  and after leaving stealth it seems the Widow's Mark ability called "Widow's Mark Sneak Attack" is triggered when attacking a mob immune to sneak attacks.   I have yet to see either of these triggered on a mob that is not immune.   (perhaps after I get my Widow's Marks upgraded).  A third attack seems to be a random happening and it shows up in the combat log as "Dual Hand Attack"  and the next line says, "Widow's Mark magic Hidden Silence Sneak Attack."  I am dual wielding so I assume the same for single wielding, but "Surprise Thrust."  

While repeating the rotation mentioned above, I noticed that the first 4 attacks from stealth are counted as sneak attacks when dual-wielding, ambidexterity, and improved two-weapon fighting skills are active.  So the Cycle is more like Stealth, Attack (4 hits), disengage, repeat.  

As Tuebits mentions, it is best to get your Widow's marks upgraded when you are a higher level and possibly take a bard with you to "whistle up your skills."  An an HC it may be a while before I get the upgraded Widow's Marks.

EDIT: There is also an Offhanded Attack, but I was unable to accurately track in in the combat log.

Happy Shadows.
Tiny (HC)

Last edited by TattooedSanta on Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added Offhanded attack.)

TattooedSanta

Back to top Go down

Widow's Marks and How to Wield Them.   An Addendum to Tuebits' "The Complete book of Widow's Mark Dagger" Empty Re: Widow's Marks and How to Wield Them. An Addendum to Tuebits' "The Complete book of Widow's Mark Dagger"

Post  L0BSTER Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:14 am

This is a good book..

Santa has received his publish contract:DONE

L0BSTER
L0BSTER
L0BSTER
Admin

https://12darksecrets.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down