12 Dark Secrets Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sorcerer's Spell Guide

2 posters

Go down

Sorcerer's Spell Guide Empty Sorcerer's Spell Guide

Post  Hutty Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:10 am

A spell recommendation list for the newer sorcerers. This isn't definitive, just my opinion.

Some of the spells may become redundant later on as you get more equipment, which you can change as you level. This is simply what I use when I would try to play completely solo.

First level: I typically start with Grease, combined with the panther pet which can be a pretty lethal combo starting out. When they fail their dc check and fall it will pounce and get it's sneak attack damage. Then I will go with Burning Hands for some cone AOE damage first, then I'll grab Magic Missile after a few levels as it scales up a bit. Mage Armor is always a solid choice as well. Then I'll round it off with color spray eventually, great cone AOE stun.

Second level: Ghostly Visage is a must, damage reduction is paramount for mages here. Combine this with Death Armor next and you'll nearly be a walking tank in the lower level areas. You can possibly even hit some golems along the south path too if you're careful. Invisibility is a very handy spell to grab for doing quests or getting out of sticky situations. Eagle's splendor to buff your Charisma a bit and help with those DC spell checks. Then I take Melf's for a little damage over time spell to hopefully stack with other damage.

Third level: Absolutely Fireball, or Scintillating Sphere if you want an electric aoe spell. Using Grease to slow the enemy down and grouping them up to blast them with your AOE spells will help maximize your spell uses. The Find Traps spell will help with any traps you encounter throughout the server, such as the portal rune chest. Around this level, once you've got your better spells, you can drop your panther and move on to your pixie companion to unlock things. It's not quite as good as having a rogue with you but it will generally handle the job. Dispel comes in handy later on. I typically have to use it on myself when I have a bigsby's hand on me. I personally get negative energy burst last just to have the variety in damage, but feel free to get what you'd like.

Fourth level: Elemental shield stacks with Death Armor and just makes you an even more deadly tank, as well as providing 50% Fire and Ice resistant. Ice storm is my next choice, AOE damage is always great. You can upgrade to Improved Invisibility now, which gives a 50% concealment bonus. This reduces the amount of hits you take which is good, except for when you want your damage shields to handle the job. So try to learn when this is appropriate over time, mainly for bosses. Lesser Spell Breach for later enemies who will use Spell Mantle, which block a certain amount of spell levels that you cast.

Fifth level: The last shield for the arsenal, Mestil's Acid Sheath. Energy Buffer to absorb those nasty dragon's breath. Then a Lesser Spell Mantle for good measure, it works as good for you as it does the enemy. Cone of Cold for the last, which if I'm correct can be augmented later on by a ring for extra damage. If you don't have any item that shields from mind effects then you can take Mind Blank in place of Energy Buffer or Spell Mantle, to start this may be recommended.

Sixth level: More damage reduction, Ethereal Visage. It won't last quite as long as Ghostly Visage so be careful. Isaac's Greater Missile is a good spell when you're facing a single opponent. If you're so inclined you can take the maximize feat and apply to this which is 20 x 12 I believe. A good solid chunk of damage in a boss fight, though you're rooted for the duration of the cast. I upgrade to Greater Spell Breach next, though lesser can typically handle your problems.

Seventh level: Greater Thunderclap is a necessity for Sorcerers or Wizards on this server. Disregard the description because it is augmented here and deals damage, plus the usual effects. The first time you blast a group of enemies away with your GTC's is a wonderful experience. Now for the necromancy spells, Finger of Death. You have to be aware of your spell DC's and try to get feats that help buff these, spell focuses and spell penetrations. These are very useful in the underworld later on. Next is probably Bigsby's Grasping Hand, very useful for swarms on the Plane of Grege because it keeps them from using their heals. It simply roots whoever you hit to the ground so that you can sit back and blast away. Though you can actually forgo this and take Shadow Shield if you plan on trying to hit the Underworld somewhat early. i wouldn't recommend this for people just starting here but having this spell is like a poor man's 27 interlocking demon scale belt which makes you immune to negative energy damage.

Eighth level: If you're wanting to avoid grunts and mobs you may want to take Greater Sanctuary first. It's basically invisibility that works even against enemies with See Invisibility. Then Horrid Wilting is a good damage spell to have which can be augmented by an item from the underworld called the Bad Diagnosis. I like to take premonition next personally because it lasts for much longer than your other damage negating spells, though it doesn't stack with them, and if they happen to run out in the middle of battle it acts as a buffer and absorbs more damage to help you survive. Feel free to look at other spells of this level though because this isn't necessary.

Ninth level: Bigsby's Crushing Hand is my first choice, especially if I went with Shadow Shield. Also I recommend having the feat silent spell by this time and you can use Horrid Wilting in this slot and use Thunderclap in Horrid Wilting's original spell slot, which ostensibly double the amount you can cast. I usually go with either Greater Spell Mantle or Dominate monster for the end. Please DO NOT take Time Stop. If it's still the same, it will freeze the entire server and affect everyone and everything, which interrupts others game play.

I won't do a big list of feats but it's mostly what I talked about before, spell focus and penetration. Silent Spell and possibly Maximize Spell. Also the Epic Spell Feats, Greater Ruin and Hellball. These are augmented by items later on and become fantastic.

Hutty

Back to top Go down

Sorcerer's Spell Guide Empty Re: Sorcerer's Spell Guide

Post  L0BSTER Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:02 pm

You will receive a publish contract soon

L0BSTER

Publish Contract has been received - DONE!
L0BSTER
L0BSTER
Admin

https://12darksecrets.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down